Your Urgent Care Veterinarian in Tucson:
Northwest Pet Clinic is your urgent care vet of choice. We handle all types of urgent care needs from lacerations to snakebites. During our extended business hours, our staff is trained to triage urgent care patients and help the doctor begin immediate stabilization.
You can rest assured that when you choose Northwest Pet Clinic as your urgent care vet of choice, you are in good hands. Our modern hospital includes medical, surgical, urgent and dental care suites that are equipped with state of the art technology, to provide the best urgent care for your pet. We are dedicated to providing you with the best and highest quality of care available.
When your pet needs urgent care, nothing is more important than receiving the best care available. At Northwest Pet Clinic, we specialize in urgent care with several unique features:
- Two locations with a wide range of hours
- 252 W. Ina Rd.
- 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. 7 days a week
- Oro Valley
- 10825 N. Oracle Rd., Ste#101
- 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday
- Staff trained to triage urgent care patients
- State of the art equipment
At Northwest Pet Clinic, we are always ready for the admittance of urgent care patients. When it comes to treating your pet, every second counts. You can trust your furry family member with Northwest Pet Clinic.
If your pet has an urgent care need, please call us at 520-742-4148 or, just walk into Northwest Pet Clinic on Ina Road or in Oro Valley without an appointment! Every second counts. Please don’t wait! Call or walk in now.
Please note: If we feel that your pet needs specialty or emergency care, we will make the appropriate referral to a 24-hour care facility. We refer to Veterinary Specialty Center of Tucson.
This is a list of common issues. Call and visit us right away! The following are immediate action suggestions for the drive to the vet; they DO NOT replace proper veterinary care.
[wptab name=’Snake Bite’]
Seek veterinary care right away! If you are able, take a picture of the tail of the snake, but do not handle it, as even dead snakes have been known to strike. Try to keep your pet calm and apply gentle pressure to the bite if it is bleeding. (Caution: Even the most friendly dog may bite if in pain. Please be careful when transporting your pet.)
Snakebite Envenomization: My dog has been bitten by a snake. Will he die?
“There are approximately three thousand species of snakes in the world with less than five hundred venomous species.”
It depends on the species of snake. There are approximately three thousand species of snakes in the world with less than five hundred venomous species. In North America, there are about twenty-five species of venomous snakes. The most common venomous species of snakes in North America include:
- Cottonmouths or Water Moccasins
- Coral snakes
Ward, E. “Snakebite Envenomization” LifeLearn, Inc. LifeLearn Inc., 2009. Web 17 Dec. 2014
[/wptab] [wptab name=’Toad Ingestion’]
If you see your pet mouthing or ingesting a toad, rinse their mouth out with water and visit us right away. Toads are toxic to pets and can cause vomiting, diarrhea, collapse, seizures, and even death.
There are several poisonous desert toads that are common to Southern Arizona. The most common is the Colorado River Toad, which is usually gray to olive green in color. During the monsoon season, the river toads become extremely numerous and can be found throughout the valley. They love damp, wet areas, such as freshly watered plants, near pools, and any other outdoor water dishes.
Dogs that have come into contact with a toad tend to drool excessively, stumble, their gums turn bright red, their temperature increases, they will pant excessively, and finally, they can seizure. The most important first aid is to rinse out the mouth thoroughly with water. Use a garden house and spray from side to side so that the dog does not ingest the water with toxin. If your dog comes into contact with a toad, please call us immediately for further instruction.
[/wptab] [wptab name=’Seizure’]
A seizure starts when a pet is no longer aware or responsive and is experiencing collapse and tremors. A pet may be disoriented, may continue to lay and paddle, or pant excessively after the seizure.
There are many things that can cause a seizure. Some of those things may include:
- Eating Poison (especially chocolate for dogs)
- Low or High blood sugar
- Head Injury
If your pet suddenly becomes dazed or disoriented, watch them closely. Unfortunately, not much can be done during a seizure. All that we can do is clear the area so they do not knock anything on themselves or hit anything that may hurt them. It is best to call us right away and time how long the seizure(s) lasts. Once seen, the veterinarian may prescribe medication for future occurrences or a treatment plan.
[/wptab] [wptab name=’Chocolate Ingestion’]
If you suspect your pet has eaten chocolate, call us right away! We may want to induce vomiting and start treatment within 20 minutes of ingestion to prevent the absorption of the toxin into the system. If left untreated, chocolate toxicity has been known to cause vomiting, diarrhea, heart arrhythmia, seizure, and death.
Chocolate Poisoning: I’ve heard that chocolate is toxic to dogs? Is this true?
Yes, chocolate is toxic to dogs. While rarely fatal, chocolate ingestion often results in significant illness. Chocolate is toxic because it contains the methylxanthine theobromine. Theobromine is similar to caffeine and is used medicinally as a diuretic, heart stimulant, blood vessel dilator, and a smooth muscle relaxant. Theobromine can be poisonous and result in severe clinical signs, especially if untreated.
How much chocolate is poisonous to a dog?
Toxic doses of theobromine are reported to be as low as 20 mg/kg, where agitation, hyperactivity and gastrointestinal signs (such as drooling, vomiting, and diarrhea all which may smell like chocolate) can be seen. At doses > 40 mg/kg, cardiac signs can be seen, and include a racing heart rate, high blood pressure, or even a heart arrhythmia. At doses > 60 mg/kg, neurological signs can be seen, and include tremors, twitching, and even seizures. Fatalities have been seen at around 200 mg/kg (approximately 100 mg/lb), or when complications occur.
Ward, E. & Justine A Lee. “Chocolate Poisoning” LifeLearn, Inc. LifeLearn Inc., 2011. Web 17 Dec. 2014
[/wptab] [wptab name=’Rat Poison Ingestion’]
Rat Poison Ingestion
If you find your pet near rat poison, seek veterinary attention right away!
Rat poisons can cause a vast array of symptoms including but not limited to:
- Neurological Disorders
- Internal Bleeding
- and Seizure Activity
One type of rat poison can look very similar to another type but can contain completely different toxins. In order to make sure that we treat your pet correctly, please bring in the bag, label, or any information you have on the poison.
Fast and rapid action is your best bet to saving your pet’s life.
[/wptab] [wptab name=’General Wounds and Trauma’]
General Wounds and Trauma
Whether the pet is hit by a car, attacked by an animal, or another traumatic injury, the best thing is to get them to a veterinarian as soon as possible. For bleeding wounds, apply gentle pressure to stop the bleeding. This is vital to make sure they do not lose too much blood. If a pet’s gums are pale, they may be in shock. Rubbing corn syrup on their gums will help to elevate their blood sugar. In order to prevent any more damage it may be best to transport them on a blanket. Remember, even the friendliest pet may become aggressive when injured because they are in pain.
It’s important that a pet is seen for any type of wound or trauma, no matter how small it may seem. Infections and other underlying issues can become a problem, causing bigger issues, if they aren’t properly addressed in a timely manner.
[/wptab] [wptab name=’Hypoglycemia’]
Symptoms of hypoglycemia are lethargy, pale gums, staggering, seizure, coma and can lead to death. If you suspect your pet is hypoglycemic, rub corn syrup on their gums and seek veterinary attention right away!