• info@nwpetclinic.com
  • Ina | Oro Valley 520.742.4148

*Vet Urgent Care

Have an emergency?  Call us right away!  (520)297-8258

 First Aid:

*This is a list of emergencies.  Call and visit us right away!  The following are suggestions for the drive over; they DO NOT replace proper veterinary care.


Snake Bite: Seek veterinary care right away!  If you are able, take a picture of the tail of the snake, but do not handle it, as even dead snakes have been known to strike.  Try to keep your pet calm and apply gentle pressure to the bite if it is bleeding.  (Caution: Even the most friendly dog may bite if in pain.  Please be careful when transporting your pet.)


Toad Ingestion: If you see your pet mouthing or ingesting a toad, rinse their mouth out with water and visit us right away.  Toads are toxic to pets and can cause vomiting, diarrhea, collapse, seizures, and even death.


Seizure: A seizure starts when a pet is no longer aware or responsive and is experiencing collapse and tremors.  A pet may be disoriented, may continue to lay and paddle, or pant excessively after the seizure.  Unfortunately, not much can be done during a seizure.  All that we can do is clear the area so they do not knock anything on themselves or hit anything that may hurt them.  It is best to call your veterinarian right away and time how long the seizure lasts.  Once seen the veterinarian may prescribe medication for future occurrences.


Chocolate Ingestion: If you suspect your pet has eaten chocolate, call us right away!  We may want to induce vomiting and start treatment within 20 minutes of ingestion to prevent the absorption of the toxin into the system.  If left untreated, chocolate toxicity has been known to cause vomiting, diarrhea, heart arrhythmia, seizure and death.


Rat Poison Ingestion: Seek veterinary attention right away!  Rat poisons can cause a vast array of symptoms including but not limited to… neurological disorders, internal bleeding, vomiting , diarrhea, and seizure activity.  Please bring in the bag or any information you have on the poison.  On the way if you are able call poison control to better be able to inform the veterinarian on the poison ingested.


General Wounds and Trauma: Whether the pet is hit by a car, attacked by an animal, or another traumatic injury.  The best thing is to get them to a veterinarian as soon as possible.  For bleeding wounds, applying gentle pressure to them to stop the bleeding is vital to making sure they do not lose too much blood.  If a pet’s gums are pale they may be in shock.  Rubbing corn syrup on their gums will help to elevate their blood sugar.  In order to prevent any more damage it may be best to transport them on a blanket.  Remember, even the friendliest pet may become aggressive when injured.


Hypoglycemia: Symptoms of hypoglycemia are lethargy, pale gums, staggering, seizure, coma and can lead to death.  If you suspect your pet is hypoglycemic, rub corn syrup on their gums and seek veterinary attention right away!


Thank You for Voting for Us as the Best Vet in Northwest Tucson!